Top 10 Home Remodeling Don'ts -
from our friends at Houzz
December 17, 2017
Quick To-Dos to get your home ready for Spring
April 4, 2015
We've decided that WINTER is OVER – and these Quick To-Dos around the House will help you get ready for Spring. Call J&M’s Property Management group at 203.256.5785 for a FREE SPRING INSPECTION to help get your home ready to enjoy the outdoor season.
1. Remove storm windows and put up screens. If you used storm windows during the winter, take them down and put up window screens. Once the weather warms up, take this opportunity to clean the windows, too.
2. Get lawn and garden tools tuned up. Sharp blades make for easier trimming, so bring your gear to your local hardware store now so you’re ready to go when the lawn needs its first haircut.
3. Check the exterior. J&M’s FREE Spring Inspection of the exterior of your home will look for signs of damage, from roof to foundation. We’ll provide a review of anything that needs to be repaired, and can schedule this maintenance work through our Property Management group.
4. Pull out the porch furniture. Even though it’s not porch-sitting weather yet, just seeing your porch furniture out there can be enough to lift your spirits. Plus, getting things set up early will give you time to inspect your chairs, benches and cushions, and replace or repair worn-out pieces.
5. Make a fresh start in the kitchen. Clear the last of the Christmas cookie makings from the back of the pantry, shine up the stove backsplash, wipe out the veggie drawers in the fridge and clear the gunk from those hard-to-reach spots around appliances. A few hours of work will make your kitchen shine and set the stage for cooking healthy spring meals.
6. Bring in a touch of spring. Help usher in the season with colors and accessories inspired by new growth. Try a fresh spring green or pale sky-blue wall color, blooming bulbs, houseplants, a new painting or art print, or botanically inspired decor.
7. Remove winter layers and rotate mattresses. Feeling a bit stifled under a pile of thick duvets? Swap out heavy winter bedding for lighter-weight quilts and coverlets. Also consider changing deep-pile rugs for flat-weave or natural-fiber versions for the warmer months. While you are sprucing up the bedroom, don’t forget to rotate your mattress.
8. Clean carpets and soft furnishings. Have carpeting steam-cleaned and send out area rugs for professional cleaning. Launder washable curtains, furniture slipcovers, pillow covers and shower curtains. If you’re done with those heavy duvets, have them cleaned before storing them.
9. Clean light fixtures and fan blades. Have you taken a close look at your light fixtures lately? Dust and other things can build up in and around light fixtures. Use a vacuum with an attachment or a long-handled duster to clean pendant lights, chandeliers and fan blades.